Marketplace reviews and ratings
We probably don’t need to tell you how influential online reviews can be when potential customers are deciding whether to choose your app. Here’s everything you need to know about how Xero connected app reviews work and a few pointers to help you make the most of them.
Getting started with reviews
Xero subscribers leave reviews for their Xero integrated apps on our community site. Your average rating and the number of times you’ve been reviewed is then pulled through onto your marketplace tile. Reviews and ratings are also one of the measures used to determine your tier in the Xero app partner program. You can find out more about the role of review and ratings here.
To respond to reviews, first you need to gain access to your review page by filling in this form. We recommend setting up a new Xero user just for this purpose and granting access to your community manager or someone responsible for PR or social media. Then they’ll be able to reply to comments made by your users when they leave a review.
Tips on responding to reviews
Here are a few guidelines for responding to reviews – both the good and the bad.
Make sure you monitor and respond to reviews regularly.
- Show your customers their feedback is valued by replying to both positive and negative reviews, and remember to thank them for reviewing your app.
- Keep your replies short and to the point.
- If a user is trying to resolve an issue, include links to other resources that might help, like help pages, videos or screenshots.
- Be honest when responding to reviews. Your customers will appreciate a genuine response.
- Don’t try to start a conversation with a user on the community review pages – they’ll need to leave another review to respond.
- Be polite and helpful, and show your understanding if they have an issue.
- If you receive a negative review, it’s likely the customer is unhappy with you or they are experiencing an issue with your product. If it isn’t a review that is easily resolved on the community pages, we recommend writing a response that says you’ll be in touch, and trying to talk to the customer directly to resolve it.
Improving your reviews
To get good reviews, it’s important to treat your customers well, give them an excellent product and offer great support when they need it. Sounds easy right? Here are a few extra ideas to help you get better reviews:
- Make sure it’s easy for your customers to find answers to their questions about your product. This can be as simple as having FAQs on your website.
- Ensure your help pages are easy to find on your site.
- If you’re noticing any patterns in negative reviews, take that feedback onboard and make changes.
Tips to get more reviews
To get more reviews on our community pages, check out these tips:
- Make it as easy as possible for your customers to leave a review. Ensure your customers know where to go to review your product, by including links on your website, in newsletters or on social media.
- Just ask. Your customers are likely to understand how important reviews are to your business.
- Customers are more likely to give feedback after a recent positive interaction, so time your requests for reviews around those interactions. Appropriate times might be after a call with your support team, or when someone on a trial converts to being a paid subscriber.
- You could automate the process by automatically sending a review request to your customer after they’ve downloaded and used your app.
- A well-crafted invitation to review your app will increase the likelihood that customers will do it – so make the message short, personal and include a clear call to action.
- Consider adding an incentive that offers a reward to those who take the time to review you. For example, you could do a draw to hook one lucky reviewer up with some swag.